Leave a gift in your will
Leaving a gift to LGBT Youth Scotland will make a lasting difference
Your Will is your legacy – ensuring you can take care of the people and causes you love beyond your own lifetime. A gift to LGBT Youth Scotland will help us sustain our life-changing work and create a brighter future for LGBTQ+ young people. What a legacy!
We understand that leaving a gift in your Will is a very personal decision. There is no obligation to tell us about your planned gift, but if you feel comfortable doing so it can help us to plan our work and ensure that we can keep you up to date with our current work to reassure you about your future investment.
Our legacy promise to you
When you leave a gift to LGBT Youth Scotland in your will, we promise:
- We’ll answer any questions sensitively, honestly and quickly.
Your loved ones come first – we respect that.
- We’ll use your gift wisely and effectively.
- If you want your gift to be spent in an area that’s special to you, we can arrange that.
- We won’t put you under any pressure – we know this is a big decision.
- You can change your mind at any time.
First steps when making a will
Making things easier for the ones we love is always a priority. Having a will makes sure your wishes are carried out smoothly. Here are some tips to help you make your will.
- Make a list – write down who you’d like to include in your will, such as family, friends and charities too.
- Visit a solicitor – it’s best to visit a solicitor, to make sure your wishes for your family and any charities can’t be misunderstood later on.
- Many solicitors offer a free simple will-writing service.
- Think about how much you’d like to give – anyone can leave a gift in their will. No matter how small or large, it will make a difference to the lives of LGBTQ+ young people that we support.
Types of gift
There are three main ways you can leave a gift in your will.
- Pecuniary gifts are specified sums of money. If you would like a gift of money to keep its value over the years, it is a sensible idea to ask your solicitor to index-link it.
- Residuary gifts are made from what is left over after gifts of money and specific items have been distributed. You can give the whole of the ‘residue’ to a person or a charity like LGBT Youth Scotland, or a portion of it.
- Specific gifts are things, such as a painting, a house or a piece of jewelry. Your solicitor will be able to explain this in more detail.
Our address and charity number
If you’d like to include LGBT Youth Scotland in your will, please ask your solicitor, or will-writing service to use our full name, address and charity number to ensure we receive the gift:
Name: LGBT Youth Scotland
Address: 5/1 Mitchell House, Mitchell Street, Edinburgh, EH6 7BD
LGBT Youth Scotland is a charity registered in Scotland, No: SC024047 and a company limited by guarantee, No: SC244805
You can find out more about making a Will on the UK Government’s website.