Updating your health records

Information on how to update your name and gender on your health records

You can change your name, title, or gender with the NHS at any time you like by telling your GP surgery. Most GP surgeries will be able to update your details if you ask at reception

Some GP surgeries may be unsure about how to do this or think you require a Gender Recognition Certificate to make this change. 


You can give them links to the General Medical Council guidance and NHS Scotland website which explain how they can update your details.


You should still be invited to medical screening tests that relate to your assigned sex at birth.  It’s worth discussing this with your GP surgery – there is more information from NHS Inform

You will need to change your name with the dentist separately. This can be done by calling them, or sending them a letter asking them to change your name. 

You may be interested in...

trans non-binary and questioning coming out guide for young people

Trans and Non-Binary Coming Out Guide

updating your school or college

Updating your school or college

updating young scot

Updating Young Scot

Young People May Be The Heart, But Volunteers Are The Lifeblood Of LGBTYS; For A Few Hours Every Week, They Give Young People A Safe Space To Be Themselves. They Encourage Them To See What Their F

Volunteers Week 2024