Updating your title or name
Telling HMRC that you’ve changed your title or name will update your personal records for:
- Income Tax and National Insurance
- Tax credits and benefits, including child benefit
- Other services, including the pension service
To change your title or name with HMRC you will need:
- Supporting documents – such as a statutory declaration, or deed poll (original copies)
- A Government Gateway account which you can set up on their website
- To fill in their online form
Updating your gender marker
- You can’t change your gender marker on HMRC systems until you have a Gender Recognition Certificate.
- You can write to HMRC to let them know you’re trans and that you want your gender to be marked as sensitive so it isn’t disclosed to your employer.