Updating HMRC

Updating your title or name

Telling HMRC that you’ve changed your title or name will update your personal records for:

  • Income Tax and National Insurance
  • Tax credits and benefits, including child benefit
  • Other services, including the pension service

To change your title or name with HMRC you will need:

Updating your gender marker

  • You can’t change your gender marker on HMRC systems until you have a Gender Recognition Certificate.
  • You can write to HMRC  to let them know you’re trans and that you want your gender to be marked as sensitive so it isn’t disclosed to your employer.

You may be interested in...

trans non-binary and questioning coming out guide for young people

Trans and Non-Binary Coming Out Guide

updating your school or college

Updating your school or college

updating young scot

Updating Young Scot